[aur-general] Notify by e-mail when PKGBUILD updated by maintainer?

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Thu May 8 10:48:48 EDT 2014

* Amish <ammdispose-arch at yahoo.com> [2014-05-08 20:06:15 +0530]:

> On 05/08/2014 07:40 PM, Xyne wrote:
> >On 2014-05-08 10:50 +0530
> >Amish wrote:
> >>
> >>I added one line in package update Guidelines for Maintainer.
> >>
> >>Here is the link:
> >>https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository#Maintaining_packages
> >>

> >>Here is the line added:
> >>
> >>"After submitting the update, leave a comment on AUR page of the package
> >>so users following the package get notified."
> >>

> >Please remove that. Commenting every single update will clutter up the comments
> >page and make it harder to follow discussions.
>

> I am ok with removing it. But I would like if more people give opinion.
>
> Because:
>
> 1) Its just a guideline, not every maintainer will follow it.
>
> 2) Maintainer can add one more point in guideline: to "delete" his older
> update comment when new update is uploaded.
>
> 3) I think commenting about update will involve more people and bring
> awareness that the AUR package is active and not orphaned.
>

> Please think over point 2, If maintainer follows guideline and posts update
> comment, he will also delete older update comment.
>
> If maintainer does not follow guideline, no need to delete anything either!
>
> Both ways, comment system will remain clean.
>
> Regards,
>
> Amish

As both a maintainer and user of quite a few AUR packages: I'll get
annoyed and unsubscribe from notifications for all the packages I use
which do this, and I'll certainly not do it myself.

There *are* already a lot of tools which allow you to opt-in to update
notifications, why don't you simply use these?

With your guideline change, you're forcing everyone to get update notifications
even if they aren't interested.

For me, seeing the updates in my AUR helper is more than enough, I don't want
an email on every update, but I want mails on comments.

Florian

--
() ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail    www.asciiribbon.org
/\ www.the-compiler.org  | I love long mails http://email.is-not-s.ms/