[aur-general] Notify by e-mail when PKGBUILD updated by maintainer?

David J. Haines djhaines at gmx.com
Thu May 8 10:42:31 EDT 2014

On Thu, May 08, 2014 at 08:06:15PM +0530, Amish wrote:

>On 05/08/2014 07:40 PM, Xyne wrote:
>>On 2014-05-08 10:50 +0530
>>Amish wrote:
>>>
>>>I added one line in package update Guidelines for Maintainer.
>>>
>>>Here is the link:
>>>https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository#Maintaining_packages
>>>

>>>Here is the line added:
>>>
>>>"After submitting the update, leave a comment on AUR page of the package
>>>so users following the package get notified."
>>>

>>Please remove that. Commenting every single update will clutter up the comments
>>page and make it harder to follow discussions.
>

>I am ok with removing it. But I would like if more people give opinion.
>
>Because:
>
>1) Its just a guideline, not every maintainer will follow it.
>
>2) Maintainer can add one more point in guideline: to "delete" his
>older update comment when new update is uploaded.
>
>3) I think commenting about update will involve more people and bring
>awareness that the AUR package is active and not orphaned.
>

>Please think over point 2, If maintainer follows guideline and posts
>update comment, he will also delete older update comment.
>
>If maintainer does not follow guideline, no need to delete anything either!
>
>Both ways, comment system will remain clean.
>
>Regards,
>
>Amish

As a maintainer, I would never notify my packages' users. Why? Because
as a user, I would never want such notifications in the first place. All
it would do is clutter up my inbox and thus make me want to turn off
notifications for the package in question. Seeing as how useful
discussions actually occur in the AUR comments, I would prefer to keep
notifications active, but that wouldn't stop me if maintainers started
doing this.

Essentially, this is the flip side of the highly-annoying "a new update
is available" comment, when the flag out-of-date link is right there.
--
David J. Haines
djhaines at gmx.com
0xAFB3D16D - F929 270F B7C3 78AE A741  434F A7C6 F264 AFB3 D16C