[aur-general] Fwd: firefox-stable deleted

Benjamin A. Shelton zancarius at gmail.com
Sun May 11 03:02:10 EDT 2014

On 05/10/2014 04:27 AM, Maxime Gauduin wrote:
> Forwarding this to AUR General so that the world can see how nice a guy you
> are. Insults, racism, what else have you got in store? I've taken the
> liberty to suspend your AUR account, because, yeah, us higher ranks
> motherfuckers can do that. Now please reflect upon your behavior and
> realize what an hypocrit you are saying _we_ are the one who destroy the
> community, there is no destroying people who behave like _you_ do.
>
> Now, if you don't want to depend on us doing the work for you, for free, be
> my guest, make your own distro, alone, see how you fare. But stop creating
> duplicates out of sheer lunacy because you couldn't bear waiting a single
> day. That's right, _a_ day. FYI, Firefox 29 was released on 2014-04-29 [1]
> and according to our SVN our package was updated 10 days ago [2], so that
> makes a 1 day delay, not a week. Please get your facts straight before
> assaulting people.
>
> BTW, that bit about grammar was quite funny, there isn't a single error in
> mine, however I'd really not vouch for yours.
>
> [1] https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar
> [2]
> https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/log/trunk?h=packages/firefox
>
> Have a nice day,

I agree. Yet part of me is inclined to suggest it's best to not feed the
trolls and simply point to the packaging guidelines [1] if a response is
necessary. In particular, the bit:

"The submitted PKGBUILDs *MUST NOT* build applications already in any of
the official binary repositories under any circumstances. Exception to
this strict rule may only be packages having extra features enabled
and/or patches in compare to the official ones."

Guidelines exist for a reason and nullify any argument to the contrary.
Otherwise, it's probably better to just delete the offending packages
for violating rules that MUST be read before submission, ignore the
harassing emails, and be done with it [2] (extending bans of some sort
to the offenders notwithstanding). I wouldn't be terribly upset if
repeat violations (or harassment) resulted in immediate suspension of
the user in question without any further correspondence...

(Now, I say all these when it's possible the offender in this case may
not be a subscriber of the AUR mailing list considering he sent the
offensive email to you directly, so "feeding the trolls" may or may not
apply. :) )

Anyway, that's my $0.02 (USD; actual amount varies as per exchange rate)
as a regular ol' happy Arch user. It might not mean much, but I'm sure
my opinion isn't alone. So: Keep up the great work, TUs, maintainers,
and devs! This is an illustration of the abuse you all put up with just
to keep things functioning like a well-oiled machine for the rest of us.
I believe I speak for the rest of us when I say that we're all very
thankful for your labor. Don't let the weasels discourage you!

Benjamin

[1]
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Packaging_Standards#Submitting_packages_to_the_AUR

[2] Earlier adopters than the package maintainers may not realize that
they can simply grab the package via ABS and make the necessary
modifications themselves if they're impatient or as David suggested: Pay
for their own hosting. In the case of Firefox, FF29 made such
substantial UI changes that it's actually better to *wait* until the
dust settles, IMO.