[aur-general] Unsupported architectures in the AUR

LoneVVolf lonewolf at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 21 11:58:14 UTC 2014

On 21-11-14 10:51, Martti Kühne wrote:
> Architecture-specific software has been a niche for almost decades now
> since cpus became satisfyingly fast to run compiled code. Maybe I just
> personally don't use assembly widely enough and hence don't see the
> problem. cheers! mar77i

Martti,

the problem is not assembly in the source code, , but the fact that all
compilers deliver machine-specific code .
compile a C program on an arm processor, try to run the binary on a x86
processor.
It will fail always.

Only languages that compile into a crossplatform format like java
bytecode can run on all platforms.
Interpreted languages like bash and python also should work on all
platforms.

TL;DR :
sourcecode can be platform indepent , binaries are always architecture
specific.

Lone_Wolf