[aur-general] AUR Best Practice for New Package Upload

stef stef_204 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 11:17:24 UTC 2014

On Sat, 9/6/14, Johannes Löthberg <johannes at kyriasis.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [aur-general] AUR Best Practice for New Package Upload
 To: "Discussion about the Arch User Repository (AUR)" <aur-general at archlinux.org>
 Date: Saturday, September 6, 2014, 1:03 PM

 On 06
 Sep 2014, at 12:06, stef <stef_204 at yahoo.com>
 wrote:
 > 1) the main script which is CLI
 (available for python2 and/or python3)

 2) a GTK+ GUI (optional) for python2

 3)  the GTK+ GUI (optional) for python3

 > I use the GTK+GUI for
 python3 on my box but perhaps some users might want (or have
 to)
 > use python2.
 >
 > Question 1):
 >
 > The program is small
 (approx 250kb only) and my tendency would be to just do the
 one
 > package with all 3 components which
 users will then use as they see fit, CLI only or
 > GUI, etc.  This would allow me to
 maintain only one package for this program.

 >Is only one package OK
 with the AUR community?

 You
 shouldn’t mix python2 and 3. Make it a split package.

 > Question 2) I just
 basically downloaded the source tarball, extracted it to
 /opt and
 > am running it from there.
 >
 > My idea is to achieve
 the same with PKGBUILD, following proper protocol, etc.

 > Is “installing”
 (extracting dir structure) to /opt a problem?

 Don’t do that, it’s very
 ewwy. Read up on how and where python packages are normally
 packaged.
 Or actually, read up on setuptools
 and write a setup.py that you can use in the
 PKGBUILD.

I will consider only using the python3 package.  If want to offer python2 as well, will make it a split package.

As far as the location of the install, whether to optify it or not, I will look at this further:
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Python_Package_Guidelines>

I guess I can ask the developer to write a setup.py file that can/will be used to install the package; I'm not sure I want to do this myself.

Lastly, what about splitting CLI only package from GUI?  Can I make only one package or is it advisable to dp one package for each?
This would result in the actual program (CLI) in one package and the GUI on top of it in a different package.  It's more work to maintain 2 packages so is it necessary or advisable or can I stick to a single package?

Thanks.