[aur-general] AUR Best Practice for New Package Upload

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Tue Sep 16 11:07:24 UTC 2014

* stef <stef_204 at yahoo.com> [2014-09-16 03:31:13 -0700]:
> This is the program <https://github.com/jdleicher/MassHash/>
> MassHash: A set of file hashing tools.
>
> To be clear, this program, for which I am trying to build my first
> AUR PKGBUILD (bear with me please, still learning) is NOT a python
> package or library.

Usually, python applications have a proper setup.py as well.

However in this case (as upstream doesn't provide one and the script
is two single files) IMHO it's unnecessary to write one.

> Right now, personally, on my box, I have the package as so (I just
> downloaded it since it is self-contained, there is nothing to build;
> and am just running it from there):
>
> /opt/MassHash
> /opt/MassHash/python2
> /opt/MassHash/python2/masshash-launcher
> /opt/MassHash/python2/masshash
> /opt/MassHash/data
> /opt/MassHash/data/masshash-launcher.glade
> /opt/MassHash/data/masshash-launcher.svg
> /opt/MassHash/README
> /opt/MassHash/python3
> /opt/MassHash/python3/masshash-launcher
> /opt/MassHash/python3/masshash
> /opt/MassHash/AUTHORS
> /opt/MassHash/COPYING
>
> *The program is self-contained.*

As said previously: installing to /opt really only should be done for
complex packages which are very difficult to impossible to get running
otherwise.

> And looking at <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Packaging_Standards#Directories>
> one idea would be to install as such:
>
> /usr/share/program/
> /usr/share/program/data/
> /usr/share/masshash/data/masshash-launcher.glade
> /usr/share/masshash/data/masshash-launcher.svg
> /usr/share/masshash/python3/
> /usr/share/masshash/python3/masshash
> /usr/share/masshash/python3/masshash-launcher
> /usr/share/doc/
> /usr/share/doc/masshash/AUTHORS
> /usr/share/doc/masshash/COPYING
> /usr/share/doc/masshash/README.md
>
> Then the PKGBUILD script creates another script or symlink which is placed in /usr/bin

I'd install it like this:

- AUTHORS and README.md to /usr/share/doc/masshash. COPYING probably
  isn't necessary as it's a standard GPL3 license anyways.

- The python3 masshash and masshash-launcher scripts to /usr/bin
  directly - no need to create another wrapper around them.

- The python2 scripts not installed at all. I think it's reasonable to
  say nobody will want to run Arch with python2 only but not python3.

- The masshash-launcher.glade and masshash-launcher.svg files directly
  to /usr/share/masshash, as the script searches them there if they
  don't exist relatively to the script:
  https://github.com/jdleicher/MassHash/blob/master/python3/masshash-launcher#L36

Florian

             GPG 0xFD55A072 | http://the-compiler.org/pubkey.asc