[aur-general] AUR Best Practice for New Package Upload

stef stef_204 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 16 12:42:20 UTC 2014

On Tue, 9/16/14, Florian Bruhin <me at the-compiler.org> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [aur-general] AUR Best Practice for New Package Upload
 To: aur-general at archlinux.org
 Date: Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 1:07 PM

[snip]

 However in this case (as
 upstream doesn't provide one and the script
 is two single files) IMHO it's unnecessary
 to write one.

 > *The program is self-contained.*

 As said previously: installing
 to /opt really only should be done for
 complex packages which are very difficult to
 impossible to get running
 otherwise.

 I'd install it like
 this:

 - AUTHORS and
 README.md to /usr/share/doc/masshash. COPYING probably
   isn't necessary as it's a standard
 GPL3 license anyways.

 - The
 python3 masshash and masshash-launcher scripts to
 /usr/bin
   directly - no need to create
 another wrapper around them.

 - The python2 scripts not installed at all. I
 think it's reasonable to
   say nobody
 will want to run Arch with python2 only but not python3.

 - The masshash-launcher.glade
 and masshash-launcher.svg files directly

 to /usr/share/masshash, as the script searches them there if
 they
   don't exist relatively to the
 script:
   https://github.com/jdleicher/MassHash/blob/master/python3/masshash-launcher#L36

 Florian

Florian,

Thanks a lot, very helpful.
Will follow your suggestions and those of Nuno.
Thanks to everyone which provided feedback.

(I will probably send the PKGBUILD to this list for review before uploading it.)