[aur-general] Unannounced and unreasonable deletion of python2-vdirsyncer

Evgeniy Alekseev darkarcanis at mail.ru
Mon Sep 29 12:20:37 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Monday 29 September 2014 13:57:07 Markus Unterwaditzer wrote:
> Today i was notified by the AUR system that somebody called "arcanis"
> silently merged the package "python2-vdirsyncer" into "vdirsyncer", leaving
> other packages with missing dependencies.
>
> Vdirsyncer runs under both Python 2 and 3. It can be used as a library, but
> is more commonly used as a CLI tool. The Python 2 version was required by
> khal-git, as Khal doesn't work under Python 3. The Python 3 version still
> resides under the package name "vdirsyncer" and is there for the sake of
> completeness, and because Python 3 is technically the most up-to-date
> version of Python. It can be used independently of khal.
>
> khal-git: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/khal-git/
> vdirsyncer: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/vdirsyncer/
>
> I also couldn't find a mailinglist about this, therefore i assume this is a
> mistake. Please restore the package "python2-vdirsyncer".

Seems somebody called 'arcanis' is I =)

If you was a maintainer you would have to be notified. There was a request [1]
and there was no any discussion there. But really, it is my mistake because
vdirsyncer provides only python3 library and there are packages which require
python2 library. I've uploaded the python2-vdirsyncer back and have disowned
it.

1. https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-requests/2014-September/001819.html
--
С уважением, Е.Алексеев.