[aur-general] Moving arj from [community] to AUR

Levente Polyak anthraxx at archlinux.org
Thu Apr 23 10:03:42 UTC 2015

On 04/23/2015 11:17 AM, Alexander F Rødseth wrote:
> I can also add that:
>
> * Few packages has the combination of not building + upstream being dead +
> having security vulnerabilities + little usage by other packages (only two
> official packages had arj listed as an optional dependency).
> * While the package statistics shows a relatively high installation rate,
> these statistics are old. I don't think packaging arj archives is as
> relevant today as for a couple of years ago.
> * unarj 2.63a-4 is in [community], so the capability of extracting arj
> archives is still offered by an official package.
> * It's only moved to AUR, not removed forever. Users can still install arj,
> and the possibility of it being moved back to [community] one day is still
> present.
>
> When that's said, I believe Levente Polyak will be an excellent package
> maintainer for the arj package, wether it remains in AUR or is moved back
> to [community]. It's an open call.
>

> -- Best regards, Alexander F Rødseth / xyproto

Thank you Alexander to provide this information to the mailing list so
people better understand the reason behind your move.

I already did some work on the AUR package and fixed the building
problem (related to old automake) as well as added patches to the
mentioned security issues (and verified them with proof-of-concept
archives and test-cases). ARJ users should feel free to try out the new
version from AUR.

cheers
Levente