[aur-general] Is it necessary to create a new package just for an dependency header

Sebastian Lau lauseb644 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 18:46:53 UTC 2015

On 24/04/15 20:31, Martti Kühne wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 6:25 PM, Sebastian Lau <lauseb644 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> At the moment I'm trying to rewrite grive [1], because its maintainer
>> did not migrate it to the new Google APIs.
>> After reviewing the code, I decided, that maybe using the google api cpp
>> client libraries would be a good choice since the original author of
>> grive did implement similar things as the official google API[2] does.
>> So I created packages for those APIs in the AUR[3]. Everything fine so far.
>> The problem is, google is using an old version (3.7) of the simple
>> embedded webserver mongoose[4] as backend in its current stable
>> release[5]. I tried using the current version of mongoose, but the
>> developers have some functions removed that google uses. So I'm stuck
>> with using version 3.7 .
>> Since however cmake won't build shared libraries (even with
>> -DBUILD_SHARED=ON) of google-api-cpp-client, mongoose is already
>> statically linked into the libgoogleapis_mongoose.a . The only problem
>> is that one header of googleapis (mongoose_webserver.h) has the line
>> "#include <mongoose/mongoose.h>". No problem for compilation, but when
>> using the headers in an own project, there won't be any file at this place.
>> The mongoose 5 package in AUR installs its header to
>> '/usr/include/mongoose.h'.
>> So I'm stuck with the question wether
>> - to create a new package "mongoose3" for the header only since nothing
>> more is needed (more dependencies) and hope for google fixing that issue
>> with the next more current release
>> or
>> - just include the mongoose header in "/usr/include/mongoose3.h", patch
>> the include in google webserver to use that file and include the license
>> of mongoose version 3 in my google-api-cpp-client package.
>> Personally, I'd prefer the second conclusion since AFAIK no other
>> package needs this header and google is working on its web section on
>> the master branch, so it probably won't be needed anymore in near
>> future. But I'm not sure, so it would be nice to have your opinion on that.
>> Greets,
>> Sebastian
>> [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/grive/
>> [2] https://github.com/google/google-api-cpp-client/tree/v0.1
>> [3]
>> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&C=0&SeB=nd&K=google-api-cpp&outdated=&SB=n&SO=a&PP=50&do_Search=Go
>> [4] https://github.com/cesanta/mongoose
>> [5] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/google-api-cpp-client/
> That's a case for our old friend
> sed -r -i 's@(#include <)mongoose/(mongoose\.h>)@\1\2@'
> This change may be implemented using an additional diff source file or
> with a different sed line, but I particularly like sed -r for being
> not as backslashy for when I need groups.
> cheers!
> mar77i

Thanks, but that's not the issue. I could create a patch or use sed, if
I knew the right way to package this.

The main question is wether it is better to include that header
(originally not belonging to another program) in the google C++ APIs
package (since no other package needs that file) or to create an extra
package like mongoose3 with that file only (since that would be the
right way - it is an header from another program).



More information about the aur-general mailing list