[aur-general] AUR activity log?

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 17:54:56 UTC 2015

Em 12-08-2015 14:42, Justin Dray escreveu:

> Perhaps seeing active comments or that the packages had to have been
> updated within month since everything was cleared for AUR4?

Comments aren't the best way. A package can work so well as to not have
any comments for a long time. Or is simple enough that won't need
comments. Or has a nice wiki page. The best way is, if a package is
orphaned for some time, doesn't have actual PKGBUILD downloads for some
time, it is a perfect candidate for deletion.

> We already have a mechanism for disowning a package and allowing
> others to maintain it without deleting it. It's called orphaning.

This is not the mechanism for that, and it is the reason why the
co-maintainer functionality was created. Using disown for this is wrong.

> The problem here is that how they are treated has apparently changed
> with no community involvement or even a warning that orphan packages
> will be deleted at random.

I don't think it was a policy change nor anything.

> Perhaps if TUs are able to view the last updated time from a search
> fable, they could see an orphaned package with no updates for X
> months. But as has been said  before, orphaned does not mean useless
> or broken.

Oprhan packages can't be updated, right? And, even if it wasn't update
for years before it was disowned, doesn't meant it was not useful
anymore. The metric here should be based on relevance (actual PKGBUILD
downloads) and time since it become orphan.

Cheers,
Giancarlo Razzolini