[aur-general] AUR activity log?

Doug Newgard scimmia at archlinux.info
Wed Aug 12 18:19:43 UTC 2015

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 15:07:57 -0300
Giancarlo Razzolini <grazzolini at gmail.com> wrote:

> Em 12-08-2015 15:01, Doug Newgard escreveu:
> > On the contrary, this is exactly the mechanism for that. You disown a package
> > so that someone else can adopt it. Why else would you disown a package?
>
> Let me rephrase it. Disowning a package isn't the mechanism for allowing
> others to maintain a package, if you still need/use/care for it.
> Co-maintainer functionality is for that. There were people on the old
> AUR that would disown a package so that someone else could update it,
> and then disown it again, and so on. This should end.

You aren't getting it. If you don't want to maintain a package and want to make
it available to others, you disown it. This doesn't mean you want it deleted,
it simply means you want someone else to maintain it. If someone approaches you
and want to help, you make them a co-maintainer. Two completely different
things.

> > Sure they can, why wouldn't they be?
>
> If someone adopt it. When they are in orphaned status, they can't. But,
> then again, if someone adopt it, then it wouldn't be deleted, and we
> wouldn't be having this discussion.

Anyone can push to the repo of an orphaned package. That person then
automatically becomes the maintainer, but will often simply disown it again.

Doug