[aur-general] Email Notifications of new AUR orphaning/deletion/merging method

Hugo Osvaldo Barrera hugo at barrera.io
Fri Feb 6 11:14:59 UTC 2015

On 2015-02-06 10:01, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2015 22:46:44 -0300, Hugo Osvaldo Barrera wrote:
> >I *tried* to reply off list, but I now realize I did not. It seems I
> >can't reply off-list anyway, since the list is altering the Reply-To,
> >making it impossible for me to determine where I should reply to the
> >user.
> >
> >Can we get this rather scary and dangerous privacy issue fixed?
>
> There are two kinds of MUAs. Some invoke reply to the mailing list by
> the "reply" and others by the "group reply/all" option. If the MUA
> invokes the mailing list reply by the "reply" option, it should provide
> a "reply to sender" option, as e.g. Claws Mail and Sylpheed do. The
> drawback of this approach is, that if you disabled to receive duplicated
> mails by the mailman settings, you need to care about the missing
> mailing list headers. If you use an MUA such as Evolution, that does
> invoke the mailing list reply by the "group reply/all" option, then
> "reply" will send a private message and not send to the list.
>
> I suspect your MUA "User-Agent: Mutt/1.5.23.1-rc1 (2014-03-12)" can be
> set up to your need too. If not, consider to use another MUA.

No client will help, because the mailing list erases the original Reply-To
header, so it's impossible for the MUA to determine it.

Also, any MUA that has a "reply to author" button (as opposed to "Reply to
list") will reply to list because, again, reply-to is overwritten.

Finally, according to rfc2822 (emphasis mine):

    The originator fields also provide the information required when
    replying to a message.  When the "Reply-To:" field is present, it
    indicates the mailbox(es) to which the *author of the message* suggests
    that replies be sent.

So a third party should not be altering this field, since it misrepresents the
authors's suggestion.

--
Hugo Osvaldo Barrera