[aur-general] Thoughts on creating texlive-bin-dev

Marcel Korpel marcel.korpel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 19:33:31 UTC 2015

Hi all,

In order to provide even more bleeding-edge binaries of texlive-bin I
am thinking about creating a texlive-bin-dev package, especially to
provide bugfixes like [1] and [2].

However, how to download the source code? One way would be to checkout
the full SVN repository (using default pacman svn checkout), but that
takes up a lot of space and bandwidth (initially). Of course, if I
choose this way, I'd call the package texlive-bin-svn.

Another way would be to use rsync to copy only the most recent version
c.q. keep the most recent version up-to-date. This is also recommended
by [3]. If I choose this way, I'll do an rsync in prepare(). This has
the drawback that the revision number cannot be determined in pkgver(),
so $pkgver is never updated. This seems to be a major drawback to me.

What are your thoughts on this? Or should I simply abandon this
project, build binaries myself and manually replaces those in /usr/bin,
like I just did to test said fixes?

Regards,
Marcel

[1] https://www.tug.org/svn/texlive?view=revision&revision=36287