[aur-general] [PRQ#1823] Request Rejected

Allen Li darkfeline at felesatra.moe
Fri Jan 2 22:57:41 UTC 2015

This probably belongs better on aur-general, so I've reposted it here.

On Thu, Jan 01, 2015 at 04:09:12AM +0100, Stefan Husmann wrote:
> Am 31.12.2014 um 10:34 schrieb notify at aur.archlinux.org:
> > Request #1823 has been rejected by Barthalion [1]:
> >
> > It is not a reason for deletion.
> >
> > [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/account/Barthalion/
> >

> I wonder what is a valid reason then. The Arch Packaging
> standards clearly state which directories to use and which not.
> Do we allow packages that wirte to /home then?
>
> The websitebacker PKGBUILD installs _all_ files to /srv. Other
> packages got pruned because they install one file to /home.

The proper way to do this is to install to /usr/share/webapps, and then
configure it to be served by Apache/nginx.  Installing to /srv is
definitely not encouraged.  However, I don't know if that is enough to
justify deletion.  Generally, packages are only deleted if they are
absolutely unuseable, completely malicious, etc. because even if the
package is broken, someone else can update or fix the PKGBUILD in the
future.