[aur-general] PKGBUILD that downloads ilegal content

Hugo Osvaldo Barrera hugo at barrera.io
Sun Jul 5 17:39:01 UTC 2015

There's a PKGBUILD[1] on the AUR that downloads a binary that is illegal
to distribute (due to licensing, it may only be distributed in source
form).

IMHO, it's a bit of a grey area if the PKGBUILD is legal or not (I
believe it is not in some jurisdictions), but anyone running it is
receiving illegal content, so I don't think we should keep it around.

I put up a deletion request[2] for this, and the response was "The AUR
does not distribute binaries.".

While this is true, it does distribute the PKGBUILD for downloading the
ilegal binary. This is not a case of "the package can be used to do
something possibly illegal", this is a case of "this script was tailored
exclusively and with the sole objective of distributing something
illegal, and can only be used for that".

[1]: https://aur4.archlinux.org/pkgbase/telegram-desktop/
[2]:
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-requests/2015-July/007698.html

--