[aur-general] PKGBUILD that downloads ilegal content

Jens Adam jra at byte.cx
Sun Jul 5 18:54:57 UTC 2015

Sun, 05 Jul 2015 14:39:01 -0300
Hugo Osvaldo Barrera <hugo at barrera.io>:

> There's a PKGBUILD[1] on the AUR that downloads a binary that is
> illegal to distribute (due to licensing, it may only be distributed
> in source form).

As long as we're not keen on playing Internet Police[tm], there's not
much to do here.
The "Get Telegram" download might contradict the GPL3 but it's still
available and so far no TG developer as done anything about the Github
issue [1].

And just to be clear about "distributing" - that term simply doesn't
apply to anything not explicitly hosted on the AUR and instead only
referenced via source("...") URLs. You're free to publish PKGBUILDs for
commercial/binary games, applications, whatever ... just make sure to
inform users about the prerequisites. Interactive prompts to accept
licenses are common too.

--byte

[1] https://github.com/telegramdesktop/tdesktop/issues/850