[aur-general] AUR4 migration of orphan packages

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Tue Jun 9 09:45:30 UTC 2015

* Simon Brulhart <simon at brulhart.me> [2015-06-09 11:36:09 +0200]:
> There are a lot of orphan packages that haven't been updated for months
> or years, but still work fine and could be considered useful. I
> understand that these packages will still be available even if nobody
> port them. However I don't know if the current AUR helpers will be able
> to see them or if they will be updated for this purpose.
> If not, I would be happy to adopt some of these packages to do the
> transition, even if I may disown most of them shortly after.
>
> I suppose that adapting the tooling (if needed) would be a better
> approach, but if they don't consider to do it I would find it sad to let
> all these packages sink into oblivion.

I agree! It'd be helpful to see the archived old-AUR packages
somewhere in AUR helpers, marked accordingly, so one can easily
discover and adopt them even after the AUR transition is done.

For yaourt[*], I opened an issue here yesterday:
https://github.com/archlinuxfr/yaourt/issues/115

I don't think just porting and then disowning packages is the right
thing to do - then the new AUR will be cluttered with things nobody
cares about again. If you care enough to want a package ported (e.g.
because you use it and it's currently orphaned), you should care
enough to adopt it, IMHO. :)

Florian

[*] Just to preempt this: I hope it won't be necessary to mention
this, but I use yaourt since I use Arch (>5 years), I'm still happy
with it, and yes - I know how to use makepkg manually. If you really
feel like discussing about yaourt instead of the rest of the mail,
please do so with a personal reply, not to the ML. Thanks!