[aur-general] AUR4 migration of orphan packages

Ido Rosen ido at kernel.org
Tue Jun 9 15:53:53 UTC 2015

I think some of the orphans on AUR are just maintained by multiple
people.  The usage pattern is:

Person A adopts, updates, and disowns.
Person B some time later notices it's out of date, adopts, updates, disowns.

It seems perfectly reasonable to have multiple people maintain a
package over time this way.  Maybe we just need better support for
this style of non-maintainership that isn't quite "orphaned"?  Support
for multiple maintainers/collaborators like on GitHub repos?
(Outright owning a package in AUR prevents anyone else from updating
it.)

I do something in between outright maintainership and this "adopt,
update, disown" non-maintainership: I have a git repo with my AUR
packages, and accept pull requests on GitHub -- if someone wants to
update a package faster than I can get to it (since I only have time
on weekends), they submit a pull request and I merge it in, test, and
submit to AUR (which takes 2 min to verify & submit the package, vs.
the a-priori-unknown time commitment of doing it all myself).  It
would be nice if there were an official way to make AUR support
collaborative maintainership like this.