[aur-general] AUR4, git, subtrees ELI5?

David Kaylor dpkaylor at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 01:44:12 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 7:42 PM, Eli Schwartz <eschwartz93 at gmail.com> wrote:

> That still requires packagers to go through several new hoops.
>
> And I can see the benefit of allowing tarball uploads for the same reason
> that the AUR3 included a web interface for adding new packages (rather than
> having a hard requirement for using a helper).
> e.g. uploading changes from another computer while traveling.
>
> What happens if the package already exists? Say, the packager switches to a
> new computer.
>
> Does the tool also setup an ssh key and add that key to the packager's
> account?
>
> Installing tools to help manage AUR packages is definitely a useful option
> to have -- but it would be nice if it wasn't *the only way* to do so.
>

> I would like to see a method for submitting a tarball, having the aurweb
> checkout the package's master branch, overwrite the index with the tarball
> contents,  and commit that with a generic message.
> (e.g. "upgpkg: ${pkgname} ${pkgver}-${pkgrel}").
>
> Aside from the need to actually spend time implementing that, is there any
> reason not to?
>
> -- Eli Schwartz

I have so few packages to maintain, the burden to me is very low. And I'm
just taking it as oppurtunity to finally learn to use Git. But a tool for
submitting a tarball and having AUR4 do the conversion is a good one. Might
help prrevent a massive pile of orphans after July 8th. Maintainers are
going to have to jump through the hoops, though, one way or the other.