[aur-general] AUR4, git, subtrees ELI5?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 02:03:33 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 8:44 PM, David Kaylor <dpkaylor at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have so few packages to maintain, the burden to me is very low. And I'm
> just taking it as oppurtunity to finally learn to use Git. But a tool for
> submitting a tarball and having AUR4 do the conversion is a good one. Might
> help prrevent a massive pile of orphans after July 8th. Maintainers are
> going to have to jump through the hoops, though, one way or the other.

Well, sure, git is fun. :)

But tarball uploads means maintainers wouldn't have to go through any more
hoops than they do already. Primarily, I am wondering what people who
refuse to learn git *just* to contribute to the AUR might think. Any local
abstraction tool would have to be fairly robust to deal with e.g.
authentication, first-time updating a package that already exists, and in
combination with transferring to another computer.

vs. providing a compatibility layer over the old tarball interface, since
aurweb already has everything else.

-- Eli Schwartz