[aur-general] Git over HTTPS

Tom Swartz tom at tswartz.net
Tue Jun 16 01:20:06 UTC 2015

>Instead of requiring others to solve your problem, you should explain to
>your network administrators that this rule is counterproductive. I don't
>really think that this will hinder adoption since port 22 is the default
>ssh port.

I'm not requiring that others solve my problem, Giancarlo.
As mentioned, this is an impossibility in our organization, and (I'm sure)
many others.
There are many technical reasons for this limitation in our organization,
too in-depth to discuss here.

I've pointed out an issue which I'm sure currently will will continue to
affect users, and here is my suggested solution:
I'm stating that the latest update the the AUR, which seems to be
`git-via-ssh-port-22-only` should expand the options for use.

I'm suggesting that there should at least be some discussion about adopting
a GitHub-style connections; wherein standard connections are via standard
protocol; ssh on port 22, or (optionally, in the instances where it's not
technically feasible) via an alternate method; ssh via port 443.
While this exact solution does not need to be followed to the letter, I'm
describing it here so that my point may be made.

I can say with 100% certainty that my PKGBUILDS will not be updated without
an alternate form of access that is not SSH via Port 22.
It's infeasible to transport my PKGBUILDS off-site just so I can run some
git commands on another network.
I'd welcome any suggestions otherwise.

Cheers,
--