[aur-general] Git over HTTPS

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 02:09:01 UTC 2015

Em 15-06-2015 22:20, Tom Swartz escreveu:
> I'm not requiring that others solve my problem, Giancarlo.
> As mentioned, this is an impossibility in our organization, and (I'm sure)
> many others.

Not that many, I hope.

> There are many technical reasons for this limitation in our organization,
> too in-depth to discuss here.

None of them are technical, but are misguided choices and preferences.

> I've pointed out an issue which I'm sure currently will will continue to
> affect users, and here is my suggested solution:
> I'm stating that the latest update the the AUR, which seems to be
> `git-via-ssh-port-22-only` should expand the options for use.

It's not via ssh only. You have the option of clonning the repo over
https. Of course it's read only, but you at least can see the contents
of the repo.

> I'm suggesting that there should at least be some discussion about adopting
> a GitHub-style connections; wherein standard connections are via standard
> protocol; ssh on port 22, or (optionally, in the instances where it's not
> technically feasible) via an alternate method; ssh via port 443.
> While this exact solution does not need to be followed to the letter, I'm
> describing it here so that my point may be made.

Strangely enough, github only allow this method of connection for their
github.com repos, not the, aham, GitHub Enterprise repos. Guessing these
poor companies have to allow ssh over port 22 because the evil github
won't allow other ports.

> I can say with 100% certainty that my PKGBUILDS will not be updated without
> an alternate form of access that is not SSH via Port 22.
> It's infeasible to transport my PKGBUILDS off-site just so I can run some
> git commands on another network.
> I'd welcome any suggestions otherwise.
A PKGBUILD of only a few Kb? You can't email it to yourself? Really,
your arguments are getting more and more pointless. I'm really sorry for
you that you can't access an unblocked internet.

Cheers,
Giancarlo Razzolini