[aur-general] password cracker program in AUR

Ralf Mardorf info.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Thu Jun 18 22:54:28 UTC 2015

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 15:38:29 -0700, Patrick Burroughs (Celti) wrote:
>On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 00:27:14 +0200 LoneVVolf <lonewolf at xs4all.nl>
>wrote:
>> I realise it and can be useful for people that forgot their own
>> password, there are many illegal/immoral  uses for it.
>
>It's useful not just for forgotten passwords, but for
>penetration/security testing as well as theoretical purposes.
>
>> Should we allow such programs in AUR ?
>
>We most definitely should; such software is not illegal and has plenty
>of legitimate use; further, similar software already is present in
>[community].

+1

I don't need it and don't have it installed, but I agree that it can
be useful.

If somebody wants to misuse software, then a MUA, resp. a sendmail
program likely could cause more evil, then a password cracker. So,
should we forbid sendmail programs? How many times a day does somebody
successfully crack our passwords? How many spam mails do we receive each
day?