[aur-general] AUR 4 keywords: categories/tags or just search hints?

Johannes Dewender arch at JonnyJD.net
Wed Jun 24 09:28:29 UTC 2015

In AUR 4 categories were removed and we can now attach arbitrary
"keywords" to packages.
It is not clear what the exact purpose is though.

If keywords really should be "better categories" (or tags) then the
current implementation does't do that.
Keywords are just more words that are searched with a "normal" search.
No distinction is made if a keyword given in a search matches the
package name, the description or is an actual "keyword" of a package.

You also can't filter search results like you used to be with categories
.

So what works ATM is having keywords as a better place to put "search
hints".
Well, I like free-form tags/categories better, but if they should be
search hints, then this should be documented somewhere.

Anyways, I opened an issue about that:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/45447
but as a second thought it would be nice to know what the community
thinks about this.

--
JonnyJD