[aur-general] How to depend a pkg on two alternative packages?

Troy Engel troyengel+arch at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 20:06:21 UTC 2015

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 10:09 AM, Uwe Koloska <kolewu at koloro.de> wrote:

> I want to create a package for an app that needs either pyaudio or (as
> an alternative) pygame.  How can I write this in the PKGBUILD?

Mauro's reply is the technically correct one - however, I'm
questioning your logic. The two packages are not alternates of the
same thing; pyaudio is simply the audio bindings, whereas pygame is
for writing games. Your app needing "one or the other" is a logic
split - either you need the audio bindings, or you need the gaming
code -- they don't even provide the same shared binary modules or play
on the same field.

Just require pyaudio since you're in AUR and it's a quick, easy build
then make your Optional for pygame if you want. The provides/requires
as Mauro outlines is when two packages provide the same functionality
-- for example, Exim and Postfix provide "smtp-server" so an app who
requires smtp-server is satisfied by A or B. Your app/package trying
to require pyaudio/pygame as equal alternates is just... questionable.

$0.02,
-te