[aur-general] What belongs to AUR general? - Was: Palemoon font size

Ralf Mardorf info.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sun May 31 11:52:04 UTC 2015

On Sun, 31 May 2015 11:33:36 +0200, Florian Bruhin wrote:
>* Ralf Mardorf <info.mardorf at rocketmail.com> [2015-05-31 10:46:59
>+0200]:
>> On Sat, 30 May 2015 23:26:21 +0200, Marcel Korpel wrote:
>> >* Ralf Mardorf (Sat, 30 May 2015 22:17:10 +0200):
>> >[…]
>> >
>> >Why not ask there, in the comments?
>>
>> Because "This list is for [...] the general public to discuss issues
>> surrounding [...] the Arch User Repository (AUR)" [1] and users
>> usually don't read daily all new comments for all PKGBUILDs, but
>> they likely follow this mailing list.
>
>IMHO, this list is for issues *with* the AUR itself (and things
>surrounding that), but not for issues with software you got *from* the
>AUR. If you look at the archives[1], this is also how it's used.
>
>[1] https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/
>
>> I would report a bug against the PKGBUILD as comment, but my question
>> is about usage of the software the PKGBUILD does provide.
>>
>> So, what's wrong with asking this question on this list? IMO it
>> absolutely doesn't belong to the comments.
>
>The BBS[2] or arch-general[3] would be the right place I think. I
>agree the comments aren't either.
>
>[2] https://bbs.archlinux.org/

Hi Florian,

I have to revise my claim "it _absolutely_ doesn't belong to the
comments". I guess it's ok to ask some usage questions by a comment too,
but as already pointed out, less people might notice a comment and to
many usage requests by a comment would be bad.

Questions regarding software from AUR are unwanted on Arch general, so
in the past several subscribers send requests regarding usage of
software from AUR to AUR general.

Yes, the forums are a place were it's allowed to ask. So we've got no
mailing list for requests regarding usage of software from AUR?

Users could subscribe to each mailing list of the software they are
using, but then we need to subscribe to hundreds of mailing lists.

I'm subscribed to the mailing lists of software I often use, but
palemoon is something I installed for testing purpose.

IMO there should be a mailing list for requests regarding software, if
the fine manual doesn't answer a question.

Regards,
Ralf