[aur-general] [aur-dev] [PRQ#4382] Deletion Request for b43-firmware

Jiachen Yang farseerfc at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 04:35:22 UTC 2015

On 11/21/2015 01:40 AM, Ben Oliver wrote:
> On 20 November 2015 at 16:22, Mark Weiman <mark.weiman at markzz.com> wrote:
>
>> The word file is a fine word to use and is used correctly.
>>
>> As a verb, file means to make application (to file a complaint; to file
>> for a job; to file a request).  Since this follows a definition of the
>> word, I see no reason to have it need to be changed.
>>

> The 'as a verb' part is what is causing the issue, because as a noun it is
> frequently used to refer to something fundamental to Unix systems.
>
> That said, I am surprised this has come up, and it got a laugh out of me!
> 'File request', in the way it has been misconstrued here, would generally
> be written 'Request file' or 'Request this file'.
>
> How many people are going to ignore the options above it and go to the
> effort of sending a message that says 'i want this file', expecting magic
> file-giving results? Probably not enough to warrant a change.
>
> Weirdly interested to see what comes of this.

I want to put in my 5 cents here that the use of "file" as a verb in
"File Request" is not so obvious for a non-native speaker like me. I too
once misunderstood the meaning of it and instead sent a email to this
list because I could not find the "Orphan Request" button [1]. Not until
someone pointed out that "File Request" is the button I am looking for
did I noticed that the "File" is actually a verb.
I didn't quite comprehend what is the meaning of "Request a file" should
be in this context, but my brain is just ignoring the thing that it
cannot understand.

For me, a button says "Delete/Orphan/Merge Request" is far more clear
about what it will do.

[1] https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2015-April/030474.html

--
Jiachen Yang 楊嘉晨
Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, Osaka University
Gmail: farseerfc at gmail.com