[aur-general] [aur-dev] [PRQ#4382] Deletion Request for b43-firmware

Xavion xavion.0 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 21:19:31 UTC 2015

> I can understand someone getting confused when they first click on it; and
> any of the suggested name changes sound pretty logical. But, how does
> someone click on that, then select deletion or merge to some other request
> type, enter text and then click submit without realizing 'This probably
> wasn't a download link'

They probably go there thinking it's the only way to "request a file".
Once they're there, they have difficulty choosing between "deletion",
"merge", and "orphan".  They don't want to proceed, but they know of no
other way to request that file :-).  So, they randomly choose one of those
options and send their unrelated request away.  Essentially, they only
proceed because they think the AUR doesn't have an inbuilt file requesting
facility.

I think people would be surprised at just how often this happens.  Less
than a fortnight ago, someone else did the same thing with another of my
packages.  That guy filed both deletion and orphan requests with the
following comments:
* Deletion: "Hi, Can anybody provide me this package ? Git not found. Use
for bcm4312 . Thanx"
* Orphan: "L can't find this package , can you upload it somebody ? Thanx"

I liken this problem to that of gun laws in the US.  If nothing is done
about them, the mass shootings will continue.  Similarly, if "File Request"
isn't at least changed to "File a Request", the occasional Arch newbie will
annoy/worry package maintainers with these bogus requests.  Still,
according to the Gospel of Mark, it doesn't need to be changed because *he*
has no trouble interpreting the meaning of the link in its current form.