[aur-general] [aur-dev] [PRQ#4382] Deletion Request for b43-firmware

Mark Weiman mark.weiman at markzz.com
Sun Nov 22 00:09:24 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-11-22 at 08:19 +1100, Xavion wrote:

> > I can understand someone getting confused when they first click on
> > it; and
> > any of the suggested name changes sound pretty logical. But, how
> > does
> > someone click on that, then select deletion or merge to some other
> > request
> > type, enter text and then click submit without realizing 'This
> > probably
> > wasn't a download link'
> >

> They probably go there thinking it's the only way to "request a
> file".
> Once they're there, they have difficulty choosing between "deletion",
> "merge", and "orphan".  They don't want to proceed, but they know of
> no
> other way to request that file :-).  So, they randomly choose one of
> those
> options and send their unrelated request away.  Essentially, they
> only
> proceed because they think the AUR doesn't have an inbuilt file
> requesting
> facility.
>
> I think people would be surprised at just how often this
> happens.  Less
> than a fortnight ago, someone else did the same thing with another of
> my
> packages.  That guy filed both deletion and orphan requests with the
> following comments:
> * Deletion: "Hi, Can anybody provide me this package ? Git not found.
> Use
> for bcm4312 . Thanx"
> * Orphan: "L can't find this package , can you upload it somebody ?
> Thanx"
>
> I liken this problem to that of gun laws in the US.  If nothing is
> done
> about them, the mass shootings will continue.  Similarly, if "File
> Request"
> isn't at least changed to "File a Request", the occasional Arch
> newbie will
> annoy/worry package maintainers with these bogus requests.  Still,
> according to the Gospel of Mark, it doesn't need to be changed
> because *he*
> has no trouble interpreting the meaning of the link in its current
> form.

Since there's a new "Gospel of Mark" outside of the Christian Bible
that I have not written and is somehow about me (that I have not read
yet, please send me a copy), it would probably say to read
documentation and understand what you are using before you use attempt
to use it.  If this person is being serious, he should be made aware of
the documentation available.

Also what does the gun laws in the United States have to do with any
part of this?  Usually the people who use those guns are familiar with
how to use one.

This is a case where ignorance is causing an issue and I only think it
is a trivial problem (or lack of).

Mark Weiman