[aur-general] [aur-dev] [PRQ#4382] Deletion Request for b43-firmware

respiranto respiranto at icloud.com
Sun Nov 22 21:40:45 UTC 2015

On 11/22/2015 09:50 PM, Xavion wrote:
>> It was intended as a reductio ad absurdum. I assumed a statement to be true
>> and proved its absurdity.
>
> Great, but I still can't see how it wasn't a complete waste of time for all
> concerned.

I was just proving your statement:
> Honestly, I think it's a joke that we even need to have this discussion.

Since when are jokes considered a waste of time?

> You've got all of that knowledge, yet you want us to believe that you've
> never seen "lodge" used as a verb.

There's a difference between _understanding_ the syntactical semantics
of a statement to _knowing_ the meaning of an English word.
(By syntactical semantics I mean the semantics that can be derived from
the syntax.)

> Then you must be saying that the two times this has happened to me in the
> last fortnight were purely fictional.

Does it harm you to read these two mails?

>> If somebody though does so, we can in almost all cases not expect him to be
>> able to follow or have followed the Installation- or Beginner's Guide.
>
> Yep, so don't send him back to the Wiki for more reading.  Just change
> "File Request" to "Lodge a Request" or "Make a Request" and be done with
> it.  Two alternatives would be "Request Modification" and "Administrative
> Request", but maybe the longer words would cause problems for the ESL
> community.

You miss my point.
If somebody interpretes a deletion request as a way of getting
something, then he does either understand no English at all, so should
get used to use a dictionary, or lacks the ability of setting up and
running an Arch system completely.
Nor would he be able to use the package on another distribution, by the way.