[aur-general] Package depends on 'provides' of another package

Johannes Löthberg johannes at kyriasis.com
Sat Sep 5 18:15:07 UTC 2015

On 05/09, Christopher Reimer wrote:
>Unfortunately aurweb is unable to resolve vdr-api back to the actual
>vdr package.
>
>So either it's a bug in aurweb or my construct (vdr-plugin --> vdr-api
>- --> vdr) is way to complex an there's an easier approach.

It has nothing to do with being unable to. aurweb would be fully able
to. It's that that's not how provides work. This behaviour is exactly
like if you eg try doing a `pacman -Si` on the provide. Provides just
provide another name for conflict resolution, and depending on a provide
will likely never link to the package page of some random PKGBUILD that
provides it because many things could provide the same thing and it's
not a real package name.

--
Sincerely,
  Johannes Löthberg