[aur-general] namcap - games group & non-standard directory

respiranto respiranto at icloud.com
Wed Sep 23 08:13:12 UTC 2015

On 09/23/2015 03:53 AM, Pablo Lezaeta Reyes wrote:
> El mar 22/09/2015, 4:25 PM, Justin Dray <justin at dray.be> escribió:
>
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 at 21:16 respiranto <respiranto <respiranto at icloud.com>@
> <respiranto at icloud.com>icloud.com <respiranto at icloud.com>> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I have just finished packaging freesweep, a minesweeper-game, after
>> having had many problems to do so.
>>
>> Anyways, the current problem is, that namcap complains about:
>> /var/games/freesweep/{,sweeptimes} being owned by root:games (E) and
>> /var/games/{,freesweep/{,sweeptimes}} existing in a non-standard
>> directory (W)
>>
>> The point is, that freesweep needs a file, that any user can write to.
>> The way this would be done by `make install' is exactly how I did it in
>> the PKGBUILD - make the file (sweeptimes) and its directory owned by
>> root:games and give the games group write permissions.
>>
>> Some days ago, Justin Dray proposed to do exactly this to solve a more
>> or less identical problem [1], however I would like to avoid pushing a
>> PKGBUILD whose package does not pass namcap.
>> So is there any better way to achieve what I want to?
>>
>> Furthermore I don't know, how strict the policy to only use standard
>> directories, as listed here [2], is.
>> And why does the /var/games directory exist if a package may not use it?
>> May it only be populated by installed programs?
>>
>> [1]
>>

> https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2015-September/031535.html
>> [2]
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_packaging_standards#Directories
>
> /var/lib/freesweep would probably be the right path and why it is
> complaining. (see man file-hierarchy for more info, which does not list
> /var/games at all). I'm not sure why it would complain though, since
> /var/games is created by the filesystem package, and as you said, that
> sounds like an endorsement for it's existence to me.
>
> Ownership I'm not sure on, but someone else on this list should be able to
> advise.
>
> Cheers,
> Justin
>

> File-hierarchy is less acursted than a blind person in a colour
> competition, there are several bugs rounding namcap and a few about
> file-hier and File-hierarchy being missleading or not reflecting, some
> ended in wontfix report upstream, I tryed report upstream and they are so
> RH centric and careless than i give up.
> Just try follow the arch way and look other community packages on
> gideliness of packaging and examplesbof directoring.

Unfortunately I don't know any other package that needs write access to
a file for several users, nor such a one that is a game.
However, having searched the web, I found nethack in community, which
does use /var/games [1].

Group write access is obviously necessary, so I will keep it.
Furthermore, since /var/games is neither listed as should-use nor as
should-not-use in the Wiki [2], I suppose I may use it, right?

[1] https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/i686/nethack/files/