[aur-general] Split packages

Lukas Mosimann mlukas at ethz.ch
Mon Aug 22 10:53:04 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Christoph Gysin came up with the problem of split packages that conflict
each other, which is implementable in a PKGBUILD.

As an example consider
https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=pasystray which
defines pasystray and pasystray-gtk2 which cannot be installed both at
the same time. Neither aura nor yaourt supports such packages.

There is no other package known to me, but there should be some
clarification, whether such a package is allowed.

In my opinion, already the name "split package" indicates that these
should not conflict, otherwise it would not just be a split package, but
rather something like a "versioned package".

In order to come to a conclusion for the discussion in the comments of
that AUR package, I would kindly ask you for your thoughts concerning
this problem.

Best,
Lukas