[aur-general] [REVIEW REQUEST] python-viivakoodi

Quentin Bourgeois quentin at bourgeois.eu
Fri Dec 2 01:24:59 UTC 2016

On 16-11-29 23:59:45, Eli Schwartz via aur-general wrote:
> On 11/29/2016 08:19 PM, Quentin Bourgeois wrote:
> > Ouch, one new try :p
>
> Looks good to me. I'd say it is ready to upload to the AUR.

Hi,

I finally managed to upload to AUR[0]. I had to made some
modification[1] in order to pass the different hooks on the server but
I think they would be ok.

Thanks to you and Florian for showing me the way, I really appreciate.

Nevertheless it seems that I definitely need to change from yaourt to
other AUR helper that supports split packages. :p

> > Definitely, but its quiet fun to be faced with such problems.
>
> It's also quite fun even when you're loud. ;)
>
> > If you may I propose the following summary in order to assert that
> > I am starting to get a bigger picture:
> >
> > - setuptools related stuff
> > Some project, like viivakoodi, needs setuptools for installation. In
> > such case pythonX-setuptools is needed at build-time.
> >   * If we provide a split packages both python{,2}-setuptools should
> >   be included into makedepends()
> >   * If the project use *console_scripts* entry points
> >   pythonX-setuptools is needed as the runtime dependencies too.
> >
> > - PKGBUILD/makepkg related stuff
> > At built-time makepkg "merge" both makedepends() and depends().
> >   * However, if we are building a split package with a depends()
> >   inside a package_* function, this depends() will not be watched at
> >   built-time. So packager must "copy" the content of package_*
> >   depends() into global makedepends() in that particular case.
>
> Yup, that's about it. Predicated on the build needing all runtime
> dependencies installed, which is the case for setuptools.
>
> It is worth noting purely for correctness, that the *console_scripts*
> spec also has a brother called *gui_scripts*, which is the same thing
> but indicates the script/exe should launch a GUI instead of existing in
> a terminal. (I guess that has a practical difference on Windows.)
>
> While not referenced here because viivakoodi has none, projects that
> have *gui_scripts* display the same behavior -- setuptools is generating
> the *entry_points* ==> {console,gui}_scripts instead of using the
> user-supplied *scripts* , and since setuptools generates it for you it
> embeds itself into the scene. I suppose this is useful for allowing it
> to check the *.egg-info/requires.txt at runtime, although distro
> packaging theoretically takes care of that for us.

Is it relevant to add some of this information
(runtime deps on setuptools) ? I don't remember having seen such
information while looking at the manpage/wiki. In the other hand I
don't known if its obvious for other.

[0]: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/python-viivakoodi/ https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/python2-viivakoodi/
[1]: https://git.bourgeois.eu/aur_python_viivakoodi.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=python-viivakoodi-0.8.0-3