[aur-general] xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin unused shared libraries

NicoHood archlinux at nicohood.de
Sun Dec 4 21:47:43 UTC 2016

On 12/04/2016 08:50 PM, Connor Behan via aur-general wrote:
> On 04/12/16 08:03 AM, NicoHood wrote:
>> I am currently updating the xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin and have a few
>> namcap warnings to resolve. Mainly I am focusing this kind of warnings:
>>
>> xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin W: Unused shared library
>> '/usr/lib/libdbus-glib-1.so.2' by file
>> ('usr/lib/xfce4/panel/plugins/libpulseaudio-plugin.so')
>>
>> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin/
>>
>> However configure does use shared libraries as you can see from the log:
>> checking whether to build shared libraries... yes
>> checking whether to build static libraries... no
>>
>> Does this require upstream fixes? And if so, what should be changed? I
>> want to move the package to [community] once gpg signatures and https
>> are provided, but that also should get fixed first.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Nico
>>
> It might be possible to get rid of this output by putting the
> "-Wl,--as-needed" compiler flag in the upstream configure script. But
> honestly this happens with most GTK programs. The libgtk-x11-2.0.so
> library is setup to bring in most of its own dependencies every time a
> program uses it. Even when that program doesn't need to call pango,
> cairo or any of that. I would just ignore it.

I also got this suggestion on IRC. I added the LD_FLAGS=-Wl,--as-needed
to the configure command, but that did not help at all. Maybe I did it
wrong?

The fact that more programs have this problem does not mean we should
ignore it. Also because of possible outdated software and security reasons.

~Nico