[aur-general] Misuse of AUR (yaourt) comments

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Feb 10 14:35:53 UTC 2016

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 13:57:19 +0000, William Di Luigi wrote:
>I'm not sure if you're referring to my comment (and Det's answer to my
>comment) but, if you are, notice that I was asking why the package
>yaourt is flagged out of date given that, like you just said, it *is*
>in fact up-to-date.
>
>If you were referring to a different "group" of commenters then I'm
>sorry :)

Hi William,

yesno. I welcome your comment, I didn't misunderstand you :).

The maintainer and Last packager commented on 2016-01-30 17:07:

  "Do not flag out of date please.
  pacman 5.0 is in [testing], so if you use it, please recompile
  package-query/package-query-git to be linked to the new libalpm."

Somebody by accident could miss the comment or not understand it,
that's not a problem, but several people seemingly ignored all comments
and repeated again and again that yaourt needs to be rebuild.

On  2016-02-02 14:53 I explained again:

  "[snip] In this case there's no need to rebuild yaourt at all. You
  only need to compile package-query or package-query-git. [snip]"

But people continued, so on 2016-02-04 13:31 I gave the hint:

  "[snip] I will not comment any "workarounds", but again, there is
  absolutely no reason to rebuild yaourt.

  Instead of adding spam to the comments, read the fine comments, e.g.
  Skunnyk's from 2016-01-30 17:07 and mine from 2016-02-02 14:53.
  [snip]"

Then followed your comment

  "I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, but: why has this
  package been flagged out of date for a week now?"

and today a user replied:

  "Inactive maintainers."

The same maintainer who informed users already end of January updated
package-query on 2016-02-01 09:40, so he does more than he needs to do.
Updating the git package is absolutely not required ;).

So yes, I refer to this user, but no, I do not refer to you, instead
I'm annoyed by the group of people who all reported the same "issue"
with the same wrong solutions before. Until today I didn't feel the need
to take more action by writing to the mailing list, since I thought
those users calmed down, but when somebody replied to your message that
the maintainers supposedly are inactive I get really annoyed, since this
user already add a comment days before.

Users should not only write comments, they also should read the
comments.

If somebody needs help, there are the forums and this mailing list to
ask.

Regards,
Ralf