[aur-general] Should TUs tolarate inapropiate behavior in the AUR?

Pedro A. López-Valencia vorbote at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 19:39:39 UTC 2016

TL;DR: We need to start denouncing and culling sociopathic behavior
in the AUR and other parts of the Arch Linux community at large.

The thread "Misuse of AUR (yaourt) comments" brings to light in the
words of Dave Blair:

> Det harassed me with out-of-date notifications too. He seems like a
> hustler. Not quite sure why anyone would want to hustle AUR packages,
> doesn't really make sense to me.

answering among previews emails in the conversation to what Ralf Maddorf

AS an aside, William Di Luigi wrote:

> These are ad-hominem attacks, I think this thread is being hijacked.

And I answered:

> No, I am not hijacking the thread. I am simply confirming Dave Balir
> and Ralph Maddorf's suspicions that they are dealing with a sick individual.
>
> And if you think I am throwing ad-hominem attacks is because you
> havenot receivied insulting emails from Det to your private mailbox.
 > And, as I said, he uses pseudonyms to do his sociopathic deeds, for
 > example nimetonmail at gmail.com that now nymshifted
 > to nimetonmaili at gmail.com.
>
> Just give me a moment and I'll open a new thread.

(Precisely this new thread)

Now, in support to my assertions there are these answers:

Ralph Maddorf:

> In AUR 4
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&SeB=m&K=Det&outdated=&SB=n&SO=a&PP=50&do_Search=Go
>
> Maintainer Det: 105 packages found.
> Submitter Det:   63 packages found.

Dave Blair:

> I'm glad it's not just me then.
>
> But why would anyone want to hustle AUR packages? I don't get it.
> There are loads of orphans around, and maintaining a package can be a
> pain. It's not like you can make a living off it.

Now, after this long summary there is but one matter: This kind of
behavior has to be stopped in its tracks. I gave a fair fight, part of
which David Reisner had news as seen in
<https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/42481>, but that was just the start of
it. The harassment made me give "Det" the vuze package in a fit of
disgust and rage (my fault, I know).

Now, what do I know about this "Det" character? He is Finnish, because
one of the Gmail email addresses he used to harass and insult me had a
Google+ page with all text in Finnish (very immature content, btw). I
can't find that page anymore, probably he deleted it, there is also
nimetonmaili at gmail.com, where he identifies as "Daniel Davis"; he had
the gall of gloating it is not his real name. So we can have an idea of
what kind of sociopath is this individual.

I let this pass for a long time, but I think it is the right time to ask
the TUs *and* the devs to start a productive discussion about creating a
code of conduct that allows us, the users contributing to the AUR, the
forum and the IRC channels, to have a set of rules to be applied if
people is disrespect to each other in the context of the community. Case
in point, a long while ago, I witnessed some of the IRC channel regulars
harass a girl in such a way that I thought the main harasser should be
asked if he had ever been kissed. And we wonder why there are no women
involved in Arch Linux, at least that I be aware of.

I am sure that like Bill and Ted, we all want to be excellent to each
other, but unfortunately the times are such that most idolize being
violent and abusive to each other. We can't stop the decay of our
civilization but we certainly can try to stop it in the Arch community.

--
Pedro A. López-Valencia
http://about.me/palopezv/