[aur-general] Now there is real Spam in the AUR comments - Was: Misuse of AUR (yaourt) comments

Lukas Fleischer lfleischer at archlinux.org
Sat Feb 13 11:07:43 UTC 2016

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 at 18:30:04, Tinu Weber wrote:
> [...]
> There is also spam (from today) on
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/atom-editor/
> And there seems to be another spam comment on the yaourt page right now.

Thanks for reporting! I deleted those comments and suspended the
account.

> Is there any anti-spam measure for registering AUR accounts like on the
> BBS? I don't remember anymore. If not, it would be good idea to add
> something like that.

Yes, we verify email addresses of newly created accounts. This feature
was introduced when we had spam issues in 2013 [1] and it was the only
effective countermeasure at that moment (we temporarily had CAPTCHAs
which did not work well). Obviously, it does not help against people
manually posting spam but we cannot do much against that, apart from
suspending accounts and blocking IP addresses.

Regards,
Lukas

[1] https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-dev/2013-March/002400.html