[aur-general] Should TUs tolarate inapropiate behavior in the AUR?

William Di Luigi williamdiluigi at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 10:09:07 UTC 2016

Hi

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 8:30 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> at least one
> maintainer seems to suffer from something like a collecting mania
> and/or control mania

It's important to note: this is just the opinion of Ralf and Pedro.
There is no proof nor a statement (yet) that could even suggest that
Det has a collecting mania or something like that.

We should keep in mind that until proven guilty, Det is just a very
generous maintainer. If he/she has the time to do all of that work for
free, we should admire him/her.

> and at least two other maintainers felt harassed
> by this maintainer

Again, it's important to note that these other maintainers gave no
proof of harassment yet. We just learnt that Det is Finnish and shared
"immature things" on Google+ (as if that could have the slightest
weight in an harassment accusation).

> there maybe is the need to take a look at
> maintainers of very much PKGBUILDS. Again, not to ensure that the
> PKGBUILDS are secure, I hoped that I have already explained good enough
> that this isn't what I'm thinking of. It might be helpful for the sense
> of well-being of other maintainers, to at least ensure that there is no
> suspect organisation acting.

I agree with taking a look at packages (I would add a "Flag as
compromised/virus" link, which has a similar effect to "Flag package
out-of-date").

> I'm not a package maintainer, so "AUR
> packages are user produced content. Any use of the provided files is at
> your own risk." is addressed to me and other users and doesn't include
> the the sense of well-being of maintainers, who feel pressure by other,
> misbehaving maintainers. As a user I don't know if this is really an
> issue, or even true.

I believe it would be a good thing to address (with a code of conduct)
*the possibility* of having misbehaving maintainers pressuring other
maintainers. It's important to note, however, that this "pressuring"
hasn't ever happened, until someone proves it happened.

--
William