[aur-general] pkgbuild - suggestion

Jose Riha jose1711 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 09:07:53 UTC 2016

i think it is the job of a maintainer to keep the pkgbuild updated (while
buildable at the same time). with keeping an eye on new upstream
releases.. not sure. why the "notify" button on aur webpage exists in the
first place. and then you also have pkgbuilds that lost their maintainers,
maintainer became unresponsive (is on vacation, ill, whatever). in such
cases you probably still want to be updated or at least be informed there
are updates pending.

to be honest i did not think this through - having defined this as a
function would indeed require repetitious pull from aur server which isn't
ideal. running weekly checks on aur server itself i believe really defeats
the kiss principle and picturing myself as an aur maintainer i would not
like to do it.

thank you for suggesting urlwatch - seems like a nice tool that simply
does the job. i was able to quickly cobble a oneliner to keep track of my
favourite tool: gpsprune. all i had to do was just put the gpsprune
website to urls.txt and define a hook that parses the useful information
(i certainly do not want to watch changes on the whole page).

in the end it looks like this:

def filter(url, data):
     m = re.search(r'.*Runnable code(.+)\.jar.*',html2txt.html2text(data, method='re'), re.MULTILINE)
     return m.group(1)

now what if this is defined inside pkgbuild on a single line (so that it
stays in the local db), for instance like this:

UrlWatcher=('http://activityworkshop.net/software/gpsprune/download.html','.*Runnable
code(.+)\.jar.*',1)

i don't think this leaves much space for attacks on system
security/integrity - the arguments are being parsed by urlwatcher, not
executed.

so the idea is that i normally do yaourt -Syu --aur daily at present.
wouldn't it be nice if one could do (say - once a week) yaourt -Syu --aur
--check-up-stream-changes and get:

* gpsprune - possibly a new upstream version detected
?

cheers,

jose