[aur-general] password reset request

Mauro Santos registo.mailling at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 22:48:16 UTC 2016

On 05-01-2016 21:22, Michael Straube wrote:
> The problem is that recovering the email account is not possible.
> I deleted it (now it's blocked) because i didn't want to use it anymore.
> Sadly I've forgotten to change the email for the AUR account befor that.
> :-(
>
> Would be sad if i have to wait (180 days I think) till the used address
> gets unblocked so that I can reuse it.
>
> Registering a new AUR account would be ok, but then i can not use the
> username michast.
>
> I see the problem that I have to prove that I am the owner of the
> account, but how can I do that?
>
> ...the ssh key is also lost (thanks to the chakra installer..) :-/
>
> Micha

I have no reason not to believe you, but the first thing that came to
mind after reading your first message was social engineering, and your
last message did reinforce that impression.

The upstream url for the only package submitted by the user michast
seems to be owned by you judging by your email. If what you say about
deleting/deactivating your old account is true, then I suppose emails
should bounce back.

If the maintainer of a package can't be contacted or doesn't reply then
the package can be orphaned, but I don't see the username being handed
over just like that, it's just bad practice, even if other things seem
to check out.

On another note, if your email provider does reuse old addresses as you
seem to imply, then I would not trust it. Old/deleted/inactive/disabled
email addresses should _never_ be reused.

--
Mauro Santos