[aur-general] Trusted User application

Nicola Squartini tensor5 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 04:39:45 UTC 2016

Hi,

My name is Nicola Squartini, long time Arch Linux user and enthusiast. I would like to become a Trusted User and György Balló offered to sponsor my application.

I maintain the unofficial [atom] repository [1], and as a Trusted User
my first mission will be to bring Atom and Electron to [community].
Atom is "A hackable text editor for the 21st Century"; contrary to what
you learned in your physics class, at the core of Atom is Electron, a
software that uses Chromium and Node to build desktop applications
using JavaScript, HTML and CSS.

When I first started using Atom, I didn't like the fact that the official installation procedure would push precompiled stuff into my system: as every old school Linux guy, I feel itchy using binaries not compiled by me or by the distribution of my choice. So I decided to create the [atom] repository and build Atom entirely from source; this wasn't easy, expecially with older versions, and it involved a lot of patching of the build system. I also decided to take a few steps further, like decoupling Atom from Electron (so that the latter can be used also for other applications), unbundling system libraries as much as possible, and enable GTK3 support (upstream binaries are built with GTK2). My method and patches for building Atom and Electron have been adopted also by Fedora. I contributed upstream with pull requests (some accepted, some not) and I will continue to do so.

My other contributions to the Arch Linux community are the [haskell-
happstack] repository [2], which contains web related packages for the
Haskell programming language (my favourite language, btw), and a few
packages on AUR [3], two of which I'm the author.

I always build packages in chroot, and check them with namcap (in fact, back in May I posted a patch for namcap [4]).

My main interests are functional programming and mathematics, although recently I do mostly web programming as I became involved in a startup. My strongest languages are Haskell, JavaScript and C. You can check my works on GitHub [5].

If accepted as a TU, I would like to maintain open source Electron
based applications (Atom is the most popular, but there are others like
Visual Studio Code [6], webtorrent-desktop [7], N1 [8] and Brave [9]).
In the future I would also like to maintain Meteor [10], a popular web
framework that I use for my job (I don't know if someone is already
working on it), but only after they add support for the latest Node.

Please don't hesitate to ask me questions, if you have any, and I hope to join the team!

Best Regards
Nicola Squartini

[1] https://github.com/tensor5/arch-atom
[2] https://github.com/tensor5/haskell-happstack