[aur-general] aur/acroread broken - request for help

Patrick Burroughs (Celti) celti at celti.name
Fri Jun 3 16:44:04 UTC 2016

On Fri, 3 Jun 2016 18:13:41 +0200
"G. Schlisio" <g.schlisio at dukun.de> wrote:

> hi list,
>
> the aur package for adobes pdf reader acroread [0] is broken since 2
> weeks now.
> it ships an outdated version of this software, because adobe stopped
> building it for linux in may 2013.

Honestly, I gave up on keeping the Linux version of Adobe Reader
running long since — but it's honestly unnecessary. Adobe Reader 11
works flawlessly under Wine, with a little assistance from Winetricks.

Run the following commands:
$ curl -O https://ardownload2.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/11.x/11.0.10/en_US/AdbeRdr11010_en_US.exe
$ export WINEDEBUG=-all WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.local/share/wineprefixes/acroread/
$ winetricks prefix=acroread win7 atmlib riched20 wsh57 mspatcha
$ wine AdbeRdr11010_en_US.exe
# When prompted during installation, select “Manual” for updates.
$ winetricks prefix=acroread winxp

That sequence will install Adobe Reader 11 and all its necessary
support DLLs into a dedicated Wine bottle, and Wine nowadays is smart
enough to generate .desktop files that find it, use the correct prefix,
and even associate PDFs and PDF forms with it.

I hope that resolves your issues.
~Celti