[aur-general] Fwd: [REPORT] Banned for reporting Out of Date CVS packages by Alucryd

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 13:55:48 UTC 2016

On 11/04/2016 09:35 AM, Levente Polyak wrote:
> arbitrarily "bumping" VCS packages doesn't gain anything other then
> creating fuzz and satisfy shitty AUR wrappers -- it should be avoided at
> all means. With VCS packages there is noting like "out of date" in the
> classical term and such PKGBUILD should only be altered when there is
> actual change (f.e. in the dependencies or the build process).

On the contrary, it satisfies all AUR wrappers, whether they have a
--devel flag or not.

I don't always want to try rebuilding all devel packages to check for
updates, so getting a notification that there is a newly-published
release is not actually offensive to me.
I don't expect AUR maintainers to automatically do that for me... but *I
don't get pissed off when they do* and I don't understand why you
seemingly do.

Are you suggesting that I am actually a horrible AUR maintainer because
I sometimes bump VCS packages for new versions?
(I don't bump calibre-git because it is released on a regular schedule.
Other things that are infrequently released I often will. And I maintain
several packages as both release and *-git packages, so it is easy to
bump them both at the same time...)

Show me the rule that says it is actually forbidden for me to do so, or
show me what "fuzz" it creates that actually causes people non-imaginary
grief, and I will stop.

But I think you are overreacting.

--
Eli Schwartz