[aur-general] Fwd: [REPORT] Banned for reporting Out of Date CVS packages by Alucryd

Levente Polyak anthraxx at archlinux.org
Fri Nov 4 14:20:28 UTC 2016

On 11/04/2016 02:55 PM, Eli Schwartz via aur-general wrote:
> Show me the rule that says it is actually forbidden for me to do so, or
> show me what "fuzz" it creates that actually causes people non-imaginary
> grief, and I will stop.
>
> But I think you are overreacting.

There are no stone plates, its just useless Sisyphos work without any
real value. A VCS package should be considered to possibly always have a
new version, no need for a ranger to periodically bump those just to
possibly satisfy shitty AUR wrappers that maybe don't have something
like a --devel option.

I don't think its worth trying to comfort all AUR wrappers in the
way a PKGBUILD is handled. I have seen too often including horrible
hacks here and there because one wrapper does or doesn't do X or Y and
fails.Its not as harmful because at the end its just a different pkgver
but the conclusion is the same: No gain other then to satisfy AUR
wrappers. Therefor my personal opinion is to avoid that all together no
matter if you think that it is overreacting or not.