[aur-general] Fwd: [REPORT] Banned for reporting Out of Date CVS packages by Alucryd

Philipp Wolfer ph.wolfer at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 14:14:16 UTC 2016

aur-general at archlinux.org>:

> > // Ok, so this guys mean: if i have installed new version (for example
> 10)
> a year ago, and i want update my package to new version (f.e.55) i must
> remember this package name and reinstall it manually, cos *pacman
> -Syu* or *yaourt
> -Syyu* will not work. And what when i will have 200 packages on my PC with
> this like "out of date" version in aur? Maybe pkgbuild is always UP to
> date, but version what is in AUR *IS NOT*

Yes, absolutely. You have to check those VCS packages yourself from time to
time. By definition the VCS packages pull the latest development version
from the VCS, it would be really pointless to update the package with each
upstream commit.

The packages are usually easy to identify, as their name should end with
-git, -svn, -bzr etc. yaourt offers the --devel option, which will trigger
an update of all VCS packages.

If you don't want that maybe switch to release versions. Often there is
both a release and VCS version for a specific software in the AUR. I really
wonder why you need the latest development snapshots for 200+ packages :)

Cheers,
Phil

--
Philipp Wolfer