[aur-general] Fwd: [REPORT] Banned for reporting Out of Date CVS packages by Alucryd

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Nov 4 14:45:34 UTC 2016

On Fri, 4 Nov 2016 15:14:16 +0100, Philipp Wolfer via aur-general wrote:
>Yes, absolutely. You have to check those VCS packages yourself from
>time to time.

Not only in regards to new commits, but also in regards to soname
issues. If somebody just wants to get a commit that fixes an issue, but
later continue to use official releases, then it makes sense to edit
a PKGBUILD and to drop the extension -git, -svn, -bzr etc., e.g. as I
did for jack.

root at ubuntu-mate:~# systemd-nspawn -qD /media/ubuntu-mate/archlinux  pacman -Si jack2 | grep Ver
Version         : 1.9.10-4
root at ubuntu-mate:~# systemd-nspawn -qD /media/ubuntu-mate/archlinux  pacman -Q jack2
jack2 1.9.10.r177.g7bdad49-1

However, if we want to build from git etc. in general, then we don't
want to rebuild each package by each update, since hundreds of packages
could be affected by unimportant commits or commits that break the
software. Builds from git etc. should be handled wisely and not
automagically.

Regards,
Ralf