[aur-general] Missing Co-Maintainer Search Criteria on AUR

Lukas Fleischer lfleischer at archlinux.org
Sat Nov 5 08:55:07 UTC 2016

On Fri, 04 Nov 2016 at 22:24:32, Johannes Löthberg via aur-general wrote:
> This belongs on either the bugtracker[0] or aur-dev rather than
> aur-general.  Essentially the reason there isn't currently support for
> it is that both me and Lukas has been rather busy lately, but we'd
> gladly accept patches for it!

I actually wanted to implement this a while ago but deferred it because
I had problems finding a good UI. The two straightforward options are:

1. Adjust the maintainer filter such that it also looks for
   co-maintainers... Which would essentially result in packages you
   co-maintain being listed under "My Packages".

2. Add a new co-maintainer filter. Then, in addition to "My Packages",
   add a "Packages I Co-Maintain" link.

I do not like the first option because packages you co-maintain differ
from "your" packages. Co-maintainers do not have the same privileges as
maintainers.

I also do not really like the second option. Adding more and more
options and links clutters the UI and makes things inconvenient. For
example, we added a filter for exact package name searches in commit
1c55e6b (Add option to search for exact name matches only (fixes
FS#23556)., 2011-04-06). I wish we had implemented it the way archweb
does it [1] back then. It is much more intuitive and clear.

Transferring this idea to co-maintainer search, maybe the "My Packages"
page should have two sections: A list with packages one maintains,
followed by a second table of packages one co-maintains. It is not
entirely clear how to implement this as part of the package search,
especially when it comes to pagination. So, many topics to discuss
before coming up with a patch...

[1] https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?q=linux