[aur-general] Missing Co-Maintainer Search Criteria on AUR

NicoHood archlinux at nicohood.de
Sat Nov 5 09:00:35 UTC 2016

On 11/05/2016 09:55 AM, Lukas Fleischer wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Nov 2016 at 22:24:32, Johannes Löthberg via aur-general wrote:
>> This belongs on either the bugtracker[0] or aur-dev rather than
>> aur-general.  Essentially the reason there isn't currently support for
>> it is that both me and Lukas has been rather busy lately, but we'd
>> gladly accept patches for it!
>
> I actually wanted to implement this a while ago but deferred it because
> I had problems finding a good UI. The two straightforward options are:
>
> 1. Adjust the maintainer filter such that it also looks for
>    co-maintainers... Which would essentially result in packages you
>    co-maintain being listed under "My Packages".
>
> 2. Add a new co-maintainer filter. Then, in addition to "My Packages",
>    add a "Packages I Co-Maintain" link.
>
> I do not like the first option because packages you co-maintain differ
> from "your" packages. Co-maintainers do not have the same privileges as
> maintainers.
>
> I also do not really like the second option. Adding more and more
> options and links clutters the UI and makes things inconvenient. For
> example, we added a filter for exact package name searches in commit
> 1c55e6b (Add option to search for exact name matches only (fixes
> FS#23556)., 2011-04-06). I wish we had implemented it the way archweb
> does it [1] back then. It is much more intuitive and clear.
>
> Transferring this idea to co-maintainer search, maybe the "My Packages"
> page should have two sections: A list with packages one maintains,
> followed by a second table of packages one co-maintains. It is not
> entirely clear how to implement this as part of the package search,
> especially when it comes to pagination. So, many topics to discuss
> before coming up with a patch...
>
> [1] https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?q=linux

I think adding a manual co-maintain filter is enough for now (option 2
without special UI). I do not really need a special button etc, just
somehow an option to show the packages. This way the feature could be
implemented possibly simple while keeping the UI idea open for now.
(However I like the idea of the "Packages I Co-Maintain" section idea).